Veterans’ Employment Services
Alaska Department of Labor offers a priority of service and benefits to veterans, and eligible spouses or caregivers, seeking employment, apprenticeship opportunities, and on-the-job training programs that pay you while you prepare for a sustainable career.
Who is Eligible?
Veterans who served at least one day in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable, are eligible for priority of service.
Disabled Veterans Outreach Program (DVOP)
Veterans with significant barriers to employment, as well as eligible spouses and caregivers, are eligible for individualized career services to obtain or retain employment. This is a federally defined category with services offered and administered by state employees at Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Matanuska-Susitna job centers. These veteran specialists provide individualized career services including:
- Comprehensive and specialized assessments of skill levels and service needs.
- Development of an individual employment plan to identify the employment goals.
- Individual counseling and career planning.
- Short term prevocational services that may include: development of learning skills, communication skills, interviewing skills, punctuality, personal maintenance skills, and professional conduct to prepare individuals for unsubsidized employment or training.
Local Veterans Employment Representative (LVER)
Alaska’s Local Veterans' Employment Representative (LVER) helps employers take advantage of the many benefits that come with hiring veterans. If you are an employer, contact the LVER for further questions regarding programs.
Hilton Honors Military Program
The Hilton Honors Military Program strives to make the career transition easier for current and former military members and their families.
This program allows Veterans, transitioning service members, National Guard/Reservist, and military spouses to receive up to 100,000 points to stay at Hilton brand hotels for the following employment-related needs:
- Travel for verifiable job interviews
- Training needed to get or keep a job or leading to a certification
- Pre-employment testing such as physicals, drug testing, and aptitude/agility tests
Points are not awarded for conference attendance, career fairs, job searching, relocation, house hunting, vacations, retirement, or non-employment activities. There is no guarantee points will be awarded. This program does not provide reimbursement for previous stays at Hilton properties.
Individuals may receive a maximum of 100,000 points in their lifetime. Eligible individuals can register for the program at any Alaska Job Center.
For specific eligibility and questions about veteran employment services, please contact your nearest Alaska Job Center or email the Statewide Veteran Coordinator . Veterans and covered spouses and caregivers, may be eligible for individualized career services or may qualify for a federal program within our partnership network.